THE MOST IMPORTANT MEASUREMENT THAT HAS TO TAKE A PERSON WHO SUFFERS TYPE II DIABETES IS TO MODIFY ITS NUTRITIÓN.
If we understand that type 2 diabetes is, basically, a chronic inflammatory illness, on whose causes we will comment further on, it seems logical to modify the feeding in search of anti-inflammatory effects.
The majority of the chronic illnesses of our time, and not only the diabetes, have a situation of underlying chronic inflammation .
There is sufficiently scientific evidence that chronic inflammation “precedes” the clinical symptoms.
Also we know that there is “pro-inflammatory” food and “anti-inflammatory” food.
Examples of illnesses where the chronic inflammation is “the main reason of the illness”, are:
• Isquemic heart disease.
• Type 2 diabetes.
• Rheumatoid arthritis.
• COPD. (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
• Alzheimer’s disease.
• Intestinal inflammatory disease. (Chron disease and ulcerous colitis).
• Atopia. Atopic dermatitis. Allergic asthma.
• Bronchial asthma.
• Cancer. The mediators of the inflammation are involved in the growth of the tumor, the multiplication and the angiogenesis.
• Fibromialgia and chronic pain.
Therefore, consuming an anti-inflammatory diet can help to diminish the chronic inflammation and to prevent or to improve these chronic illnesses.
MOREOVER, IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEASUREMENT THAT MAY TAKE A PERSON WHO SUFFERS TYPE II DIABETES.
PLAN FOR AN
IN THE NEGATIVE PART: (What we must not eat).
1.-) Not to take:
– Milk and Dairy (yogourth, cheese, creams,…)
2.-) Red meats: veal, pig, lamb, sausages, loin, ham, wild animals, etc. Two rations to the week, as maximum. Not to exceed the 100 gm for ration. To withdraw the greasiest parts of the pieces, giving preference to the leanest parts.
3.-) White meats: poultry, turkey, rabbit, etc. not more than once a week. In the poultry, to withdraw the skin.
4.-) Eggs. Not more than one ration a week. Or, what is the same, not more than one egg a week.
5.-) Not to eat corn, not products derived from the corn.
6.-) To consume neither margarines nor “prefabricated sauces”, like mayonnaises, keptchup, etc, etc.
7.-) The rice and the cakes of rice should be whole grain. They usually in shops of natural products.
IN THE POSITIVE PART: (what we must eat).
1.-) Blue fish: It is necessary to eat at least 3 rations per week. Of approximately 120 grams for ration. To give preference to fish of cold waters. (Salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines, herrings).
2.-) To cook preferably (or, exclusively) with olive oil. Extra Virgin or from the first pressure in cold. To consume in crude preferably. Not to fry.
3.-) To increase the ingestion of fruits and vegetables to 5 of vegetables and 4 of fruits.
A fruit piece = fruit ration.
Approximately 100 grams of vegetable = a vegetable ration.
– A vegetables ration + one of fruit to have breakfast.
– Two rations of vegetables (it can be a plate of vegetable, a salad, a garrison, etc.) + a fruit piece for lunch.
– A fruit ration at about 11:00 in the morning or about 17:00 in the evening.
– Two rations of vegetables (it can be a plate of vegetable, a salad, a garrison, etc.) + a fruit piece to have dinner.
– Give color to your diet! The fruits and vegetables of intense colours are the most interesting, for their content in beneficial nutrients.
– Red, yellow and orange vegetables. (Peppers, carrots, beets).
– Vegetables of dark green leaves (spinach, schools, broccoli, rucola, …).
– Intense colors fruits: Berries (strawberries, raspberries, bilberries, etc), melons, citrus fruits, cherries, plums, peaches, etc.
– To use “the rule of the plate”. In a fish plate with vegetables, more than half of the plate must be vegetables.
4.-) Obtains the protein from vegetable sources, like legumes, dry fruits and seeds. Try a ration on the day of legumes: lentils, chick-peas, string beans, peas, bean sprouts, azukis (in the herbalists). Not peanuts. Add a fistful of dry fruits or seeds in some of the plates, every day, or to eat them in the breakfast or at about 11 AM or at about 5 PM.
5.-) To eat little cereals. Rice and oats. Preferably, whole grain.
6.-) In addition to the olive oil, it is possible to use vinegar of Modena or of apple in small quantities. We recommend also, to use the following spices, to heighten the flavors of the food and for its beneficial effects on the health.
1.-) EAT WITH SENSE.
– Conscious of the size of the portions. Quality and quantity: both matter. Independently of how healthy your elections are, the calories excess will take us to obesity and inflammation (and diabetes).
– You may do the “Hara hachi boo” as the Okinawa people. They stop eating when they are to 80 % of satiety, paying attention to the signs of famine and satiety.
2.-) CHOOSE THE MORE NATURAL FOOD THAT YOU CAN. THE CURED HAM, IT IS THE LEG OF THE PIG. A PIECE OF MEAT. THE COOKED HAM, NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS AND WHAT THEY “PUT” TO IT, EXCEPT THE MANUFACTURER (THAT, POSSIBLY, DOES NOT EAT IT).
– Choose food close to its natural presentation (little processed).
In 7 words: “Eat food. Not much. Move to vegetarian.”
“The way to obesity, chronic inflamation and diabetes: Procesed food + too much food + little vegetables”.
That is why is known as “junk food”.
Joaquin Muñiz Giron, MD